[scribus] Document setup - Tools - Text does not work for new textboxes?

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Jun 20 08:33:20 UTC 2012

hi rainer,

> >> I changed the Font and the Size under Document setup - Tools -
> >> Text and clicked apply
> >>
> >> But these settings are not used for new text frames inserted into
> >> this document. If I double click into the text frame and type the
> >> scribus default settings are used, and the same when selecting
> >> "Edit text".
> >>
> >> Version: Scribus Version 1.4.1.svn from the Ubuntu Precise
> >> repository, all updates.
> >>
> >> Am I doing something wrong (or expecting something wrong) or is
> >> there a bug?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Rainer
> >

> > Try setting these defaults with no document active. Then load your
> > document.
>
> I was refering tho the settings *in* the document, not the program
> defaults. For different documents, I want to have different default
> text settings, which, as I understand it, can be done via the
> settings in the "Document setup"

from my tests it seems indeed that the settings for the text tools are
useless in the document setup and should be replaced.

this gets even more evident, when you try to guess what those settings
are used for: in the preferences they define the "Default style" for the
new documents (if i understood it correctly...).

then, in the document setup, it can't do anything (well, you don't want
to modify there the default style, don't you?)

so, in my eyes,  in the "document setup" > text tool we should replace
the typographic settings with a drop down listing the available styles.
in that way, you can choose the style that will be applied to the newly
created text frames.

btw, probably, this is what should happen with all the tools document
settings, as soon as we have styles for them.

does anybody disagree?

ciao
a.l.e