[scribus] Open Source PDF pre-flight tool?

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jun 16 18:12:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 21:09:57 +0200
Richard Foley <rich.inud at naktiv.net> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I hear you.
>
> There's a couple of things I'm trying to do with this title. Firstly,
> I want to see if I can get a Scribus 1.5.0 PDF/X1-a:2001 through
> their pre-media checks with the profile LSI half-heartedly
> recommended. For both full colour interior and cover.
>
> If we have issues, I'd like to take these up with the Scribus team.
>
> Then I'd like to send the title through again, using your suggested
> profile for the CMYK conversion/colour management sounds like a good
> idea. While we're on the subject, might I ask if you consider your
> profile to give a more solid black than the LSI (semi-recommended)
> one?
>
> One step at a time :-)

The icc profile just sets limits. To create a top notch rich
black I like to choose among those displayed on the Galaxy Gauge
Color Map Pro, which I highly recommend. I like C=60 M=40 Y=0 K=100.
But there are other swatches that are eqaully as "black" to my eye.
You can create and name your own version of black through the
Color Palette. The details are spelled out in Cedric
Gemy's "Scribus 1.3.5 Beginner's Guide"  p246 ff.

If your figures etc. are in RGB I suggest massaging the contrast
curves in Gimp or Krita. IMO Krita is better but it requires KDE
as part of your Armory.

 --
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers: