[scribus] Building Scribus 1.5 for Windows

John L. Poole jlpoole56 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 02:06:50 UTC 2012

On 7/20/2012 5:12 PM, John Beardmore wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Out of interest, why are Microsoft tools used to build Scribus ?
>
> Surely the standard Linux gcc is used on other platforms ?
>

> Cheers, J/.
I'll confess my ignorance, but isn't life suppose to be simpler using
Microsoft compilers for Windows builds?  (I don't think it is; in fact,
what they try to do to make things simpler just makes is harder.)   I
have no experience in cross compiling for windows outside of windows,
but if you know it to be a common practice, please speak up.    have
cross compiled in Gentoo from an AMD to ARM and found it to be peppered
with some peril.  My cross compiler was humming, and then suddenly some
of the target programs started failing with obscure messages.  It was
very complicated and I just stop cross compiling to save myself hours of
trying to figure out what had gone wrong.

It's my fear that some library some where will require a windows
specific item and that all the time trying to set up a build environment
outside of windows will have be for naught.

--
Email Rider

John Laurence Poole
P.O. Box 6566