[scribus] Scribus 1.4.1 crash

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jul 19 14:22:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:04:35 +0200
Dominique Bédier <contact at dominique-bedier.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had very often this crash #11. During 3 years, on the versions of
> Scribus from 1.3.4 to 1.3.7 the software planted every 10 minutes. It
> was very difficult to work professionally with that... Scribus was
> installed under Debian Etch, Ubuntu 10.04 and Mac OSX 10.6.
>
> For me since the stable versions 1.3.3 the most stable following
> version was 1.3.8 : it is the one that I most used. When I take back
> my work I shall uninstall V 1.4.1 to put back to it V 1.3.8, by
> safety. It's a pity, I would like to take advantage of novelties of it
> V 1.4, and next year of 1.6...
>
> Best regards, Dominique
>
> Dominique Bédier
> mailto:contact at dominique-bedier.com
> www.dominique-bedier.com

Assuming you have obtained build-essentials and svn for your system try
this script. It should deliver a working copy:

rm -r /usr/local/src/s14x
cd /usr/local/src/
svn co svn://scribus.net/branches/Version14x/Scribus s14x
cd s14x
cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus4_svn
make
make install
cd scribus
ls -l scribus
rm /usr/local/bin/scrib4
ln scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib4
First you will need to create the directories:
/usr/local/scribus4_svn
/usr/local/src/

The target file will be called scrib4 as you can see from the above
script.

Sometimes versions in various repositories are early versions and
contain bugs. That's why I always roll my own.

I run this and my other 1.5.0 script as root using crontab. I never
have a problem compiling as root and later running as a user.

--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers: