[scribus] Poor hyphenation in french language

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Fri Jul 6 08:27:54 UTC 2012

Am 06.07.2012 00:39, schrieb Christian Schilmöller:
> Hi ale,
>
>> can you try to replace the .dic file and see if it works better?
>
> I've already tried to replace the original .dic
> file by the .dic file from the OO/LO installation.
> Unfortunally, this doesn't improve anything.
>
> I looked into both the scribus and the OO/LO file with
> a file editor.
> The scribus one starts with ISO8859-1.
> The OO/LO one starts with UTF-8.
>
> Maybe that's some kind of basic incompatibility.
>
> Somewhere I've read something about Tex's hyphenation
> algorithm. IIRC, the .dic file is produced by a perl
> script from a .tex source.
>
> If you have any ideas what I could try anymore,
> please let me know.
>
> I have scribus installations on windows and linux which
> could be used for experiments.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian

Some time ago, I found that in a new document the hyphenation was set to
English for each new textframe. Of course, this caused German
hyphenation to get wrong there.

I could set each text frame to German, but to no avail. If I remember
right, eventually I set it in the preferences for the document. That was
the thing which helped.

Maybe something similar on your side? Try setting preferences, text
frames and paragraph style to French.

Hope it helps.

Rolf