[scribus] Windows zip file distribution

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Wed Jan 11 09:46:20 UTC 2012

Am 10.01.2012 22:39, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> On 01/10/2012 03:07 PM, Craig Bradney wrote:
>> On 1/10/12 8:52 PM, Jürgen Weber wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I tried to install 1.4 on Windows XP, but the installer needs Admin
>>> rights, which on company PCs not many users have.
>>> But, after installing Scribus with Admin rights, zipping the program
>>> folder and moving it to a machine without Admin rights, Scribus simply
>>> works.
>>>
>>> So, I suggest, you provide a simple ZIP download.
>>>

>> We like our installer.. however.. if your company requires you to have
>> admin rights to install, then
>> there is a reason. Circumventing that to install something could be
>> against their policies for all
>> sorts of reasons (basic security, viruses, licensing, etc).
>>
> I have had the same issue at work. For a time I could install to a
> network space that is "mine", and could run Scribus from there, but then
> later I found that this didn't work, I *think* because the installer
> wanted to put the .scribus directory in some forbidden zone.
>
> I have been open with the IS people so they know what I have been doing.
> More recently, it seems they have liberalized my install privileges a
> bit so I can install in a normal sort of way. I can understand why they
> need to be careful, because most employees don't understand the risks of
> finding some cute screensaver to download or some other thing that has a
> hidden virus.
>
> Greg

For our accounting office, we have a Win7 PC which shows this strange
behaviour with one of its programs: each time you start that program,
the admin password has to be given. I got in touch with the makers, but
they didn't have a clue what could cause it. If we were a larger firm
with security issues, I would definitely worry here. Unfortunately, I
know pretty few about Win world, so I can only guess that this program
accesses some directory or service in some forbidden zone.

Rolf