[scribus] Windows zip file distribution

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 21:39:01 UTC 2012

On 01/10/2012 03:07 PM, Craig Bradney wrote:
> On 1/10/12 8:52 PM, Jürgen Weber wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to install 1.4 on Windows XP, but the installer needs Admin
>> rights, which on company PCs not many users have.
>> But, after installing Scribus with Admin rights, zipping the program
>> folder and moving it to a machine without Admin rights, Scribus simply
>> works.
>>
>> So, I suggest, you provide a simple ZIP download.
>>

> We like our installer.. however.. if your company requires you to have admin rights to install, then
> there is a reason. Circumventing that to install something could be against their policies for all
> sorts of reasons (basic security, viruses, licensing, etc).

I have had the same issue at work. For a time I could install to a
network space that is "mine", and could run Scribus from there, but then
later I found that this didn't work, I *think* because the installer
wanted to put the .scribus directory in some forbidden zone.

I have been open with the IS people so they know what I have been doing.
More recently, it seems they have liberalized my install privileges a
bit so I can install in a normal sort of way. I can understand why they
need to be careful, because most employees don't understand the risks of
finding some cute screensaver to download or some other thing that has a
hidden virus.

Greg