[scribus] Trouble running Scribus 1.4.0 with IceWM and Rox

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Wed Jan 4 18:30:54 UTC 2012

On 1/4/12 6:56 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 09:32:56 -0800
> Duane G Canaday <sunny51dc at gmail.com> dijo:
>
>> I just installed the new Stable version of Scribus on an Antix M11
>> box, its a Pentium 4 about 2 Ghz. ...
>> When I open the Storybook editor it starts too high up on the screen
>> and I can't get a hold of the top of it to move it down.
>
> I don't know the answer to your problem, but I have a few thoughts.
>
> 1) I assume you have the latest stable 1.4.0, released just a
> couple days ago. If not, definitely upgrade to it.
>
> 2) Can you try a different window manager, or even a different desktop
> environment. I would suggest Xfce or Lxde as lightweight desktop
> environments. Personally I switched from to Xfce a couple months ago,
> after years of Gnome. I have come to like it a lot.
>
> 3) Assuming you chose Antix because it is lightweight, you might have
> better luck with something like Lubuntu or Xubuntu, since they are more
> mainstream.
>
> 4) Probably most importantly, check bugs.scribus.net to see if this has
> been reported. If not, you should probably file a bug report.

We've probably worked through all these sorts of issues in the past. I'd expect now this would be
down to Qt4 issues on the DE/WM you are using rather than Scribus code.

You can always reset window positions in the prefs files in ~/.scribus, however most WMs would allow
moving a window with a shortcut. Eg in Windows it was Alt-Space then M, and then arrow keys. Most
Linux based ones I have seen (certainly not all) have something similar.

Craig