[scribus] Scribus export PDF/X-1a 2001 -> direct to LSI (perfect)

Richard Foley rich.inud at naktiv.net
Fri Aug 31 13:18:07 UTC 2012

There have been several recent threads on the theme of export to PDF/X for full
colour printing with LSI, concerning ink coverage, colour profiles,
PDF/X-1a:2001 compliance, etc. I said I'd take a second look (the first was
traumatic), at this process, and would upload a posting here if I got any
further with this. Therefore, this info is posted here for reference.

I just published "The World Naked Bike Ride" book with LSI, a full colour book
with 250 photographs and 160 pages, (ISBN: 978-0-9572432-0-0), using ONLY
Scribus for both the DTP and the entire export to PDF/X-1a:2001 on Linux.
It's absolutely a Scribus success story, and I've documented it here:

    http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Success_stories#The_World_Naked_Bike_Ride_Book_.28160_pages_and_250_full_colour_photographs.29

The first time I tried to export PDF/X-1a from Scribus I had major problems,
(and reported them on the ML), however, for the second attempt, the entire
process was very smooth indeed. I used Scribus 1.4.0 for the DTP of each
individual chapter and, instead of using pdftk to join it all together, I then
combined the chapters under Scribus itself, and finally simply exported to
PDF/X-1a using Scribus 1.5.svn

LSI accepted the exported PDF/X-1a without complaint, all colours are printed
fine, on the full colour cover, as well as throughout the entire book which
includes 250 photographs, logos, posters and images. For more details of the
actual process, you can about the entire process here:

    http://www.naktiv.net/books/wnbr/publishing.html

Thanks to everyone on the Scribus team for this robust and very easy to use software!

--
Ciao

Richard Foley

Supporting Naked Activities