[scribus] Strange behaviour in 1.4.1

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Tue Aug 21 21:05:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 08/21/2012 12:18 PM, a.l.e wrote:
> > hi mike,
> >> Hi John - thanks for taking the time to reply on this small problem.
> >> Yes, I've only used version 1.4.1 not having discovered it before. I
> >> simply go to the empty frame and delete it just like you. That is
> >> annoying but, not too much of a bother. It seems to be occurring
> >> randomly. However, I've noticed that in a new document with no text
> >> added, creating new pages sans a text frame then, adding a text frame
> >> seems to be OK (no ghost images appear :-)). However, when the page
> >> count is high (I am a writer and work with documents of about 150
> >> pages) then, the ghost images seem to appear. This may be just
> >> coincidence but, it may be a starting point.
> >
> > having a file on which we could replicate the error would help sorting
> > it out...
> >

> Also, some additional info would help:
>
> What OS?
> What sort of frame appears?
> Are you sure the errant frame wasn't there before you added a page?
> Is it dependent on having a starting document with content? Do you see
> this with a blank page document?
> How do you add a page? Copy or Insert?
> Are these pages with automatic creation of frames?
>
> I've just tried this with 1.4.2svn and 1.4.1 (fedora 17) and can't show
> any such thing, either starting with a blank page or one with a text
> frame on it.
>
> Greg

OS dependent, it may be.  I've only used Scribus with Ubuntu.  But, it
began with Ubuntu 10.?  Cannot recall the version when I first noted it in
Scribus.  But then I've moved through the versions, two a year, to 12.04.
Actually, I know use Xubuntu as I cannot abide Unity!

The frame is an empty text frame that is a full page frame NOT associated
with a page but appearing at the end of an .sla document.  It does not have
a while page background but appears with a gray background just like the
borders outside the page such that the frame appears transparent with only
a red lined border.

I can tell you explicitly it was not there is several cases BEFORE adding a
page.  However, generally, it happened for me as a result of INSERTing a
page rather than appending a page.  I have replicated the problem several
times for testing purposes!

"Are these pages with automatic creation of frames?"  Cannot say I
understand the question, except to say that it did not involve a frame
creation on my part, but rather a page INSERT as stated above.  The text
frame that results is the same size as a full page frame as defined by my
page borders.

I'll try to post a bug report complete with a 64 page .sla in which I can
reproduce the problem.  Not today, however.

John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
Walkertown, NC  USA
editor at sera.org