[scribus] Loading pdf files into Scribus.

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Apr 21 21:19:43 UTC 2012

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 14:50:04 +0200
ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:37:37 -0400
> john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:22:06 +0200
> > ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:
> >
> > > hi

> > > hi just load the pdf in an image frame, put the new labels or
> > > white shapes on top of the old values.
> > >
> > > export the to pdf by using the experimental "vector pdf embedding"
> > > feature.
>
> right click on the image, and change the preview quality...
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

Did not have success with any of the methods suggested. So here
was my final procedure, which worked. Not that at no time did my
hands leave the end of my arms.
Step 0: Installed podofo, just in case, and recompiled 1.5.0.
this probably didn't matter but I did it anyhow

1. Took the customer pdf and imported it into Gimp at 300 dpi.
2. Calculated the exact dimensions of each cover including bleeds.
The LSI template gave me the critical numbers.
3. Ungrateful pup that I am, I then trimmed off all the template
stuff leaving just the cover image.
4. Saved as a png file.
5. Created an exact size file in Scribus 1.4.0 with an exact size
graphics frame on it.
6. Imported the png file.
7. Made my simple mods to each cover.
8. Saved each sla file.
9. Opened the sla file in 1.5.0.
10.Exported in PDF X/1-a:2001 (hint: make sure color management is
checked in document preferences.)

Answers to obvious questions:

Why did I convert to bitmap and RGB in step one? Because nothing
else worked for me. Also, it saved me the cost of buying the
unusual fonts that my customer liked to use. Rasterizing turned
the fonts into little pictures.

Why didn't I just use 1.5.0 for the modifications and eliminate
use of 1.4.0? Because 1.5.0 current does strange things when you fiddle
with the properties of a graphic frame. I'll report on that separately.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"