[scribus] Graphics to PDF Question

Cindy Jones Lantier cindy at lantier.org
Sat Apr 14 07:25:49 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Owen [mailto:rcook at pcug.org.au]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 11:35 PM
To: Scribus User Mailing List
Subject: Re: [scribus] Graphics to PDF Question

> Hi! I am very much an amateur when it comes to desk top publishing. A
> few months ago I worked through the Scribus tutorial, so I thought I
> had enough skills to put together a small 'zine.  I am, however,
> running up against one problem related to graphics that I don't know
> what to do with. My graphics girl designed a nice title page for me.
> When I dropped the graphic into the title page of my document, it
> looked different than it does when I look at the it in Photoshop. Some
> of the black text had turned white and there were opacity issues; I
> think she used transparency in some of the layers.
> She's
> not familiar with Scribus, so the only thing she really knew how to do
> was to save it as a PDF on her end (and it looks great!) and she told
> me that with Adobe Reader, I should be able to combine the two PDFs
> (her graphic title page and the rest of my document). I think I can do
> that, but here's the thing - I'm wanting to export it to print as a
> booklet. So, how do I combine the two PDFs in such a way that they
> will still have the pages in the correct order? Or is there some other
> way I should approach this?
>

> Thanks so much for any guidance you can give me!

Hi,

Bit hard to say without trying to duplicate your actions.

What sort of image was it, jpg,png, tiff or something else, psd?

What imaging software can you use, or are using?

Do you know the image properties, size and dpi?

Also, what version of Scribus are you using (Help->About Scribus)

 --
Owen

Hi Owen,

The image in question is a JPG. I don't know what program my graphic artist
uses (I assume PSP), but I have Photoshop Elements 9 on my machine and have
only a basic understanding of it.

The image size is 2454 pixels by 3000 pixels, 300 dpi.

I am using Scribus 1.4.0

Thanks!
Cindy

___