[scribus] the docs license

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Apr 11 11:36:19 UTC 2012

hi

> On 04/10/2012 12:17 PM, JLuc wrote:

> >> http://opencontent.org/openpub/
> >
> > That page is outdated :
> > links and emails in the appendix are dead.
> > I didnt try the mailing list yet.
> >
> Nonetheless, I can't find any other mention of the OPL that
> substantially deviates from this. O'Reilly has a number of references
> to it that are substantially no different.
>
> One of the characteristics of documentation is similar to other kinds
> of nonfiction and fiction writing. I can freely rewrite the content
> of almost anything, it just requires that I rewrite the material, not
> simply copy it. Software is quite different, you can't paraphrase a
> program and expect it to work. Therefore, I don't think that the two
> are really comparable.
>
> Paraphrasing, while simple, isn't so easy. The small number of
> comprehensive documentation efforts in regard to Scribus is testimony
> to the difficulty of actually sitting down and getting the job done.
> I'm more than happy to contribute documentation to the Scribus
> project and get nothing in return, but this wouldn't be the case if
> someone were siphoning off my work and making money from it. I don't
> do this for my own monetary benefit, and certainly not for someone
> else's.

... because there is a long history of people taking free scribus
resources and making profit out of it....

let's get real: there is almost no chance that somebody can make a
huge profit from taking the manual, printing it and selling it.

if somebody would dare to do it, i guess that the scribus project as a
whole would most profit from it.

ciao
a.l.e