[scribus] the docs license

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Apr 10 16:54:51 UTC 2012

On 04/10/2012 12:17 PM, JLuc wrote:
> Le 10/04/2012 14:55, Gregory Pittman a écrit :
>> On 04/10/2012 08:26 AM, a.l.e wrote:
>>>
>>> so, the problem is not that one has to contribute back to scribus (which
>>> could be done with a standard OPL license...
>>
>> http://opencontent.org/openpub/
>
> That page is outdated :
> links and emails in the appendix are dead.
> I didnt try the mailing list yet.

Nonetheless, I can't find any other mention of the OPL that
substantially deviates from this. O'Reilly has a number of references to
it that are substantially no different.

One of the characteristics of documentation is similar to other kinds of
nonfiction and fiction writing. I can freely rewrite the content of
almost anything, it just requires that I rewrite the material, not
simply copy it. Software is quite different, you can't paraphrase a
program and expect it to work. Therefore, I don't think that the two are
really comparable.

Paraphrasing, while simple, isn't so easy. The small number of
comprehensive documentation efforts in regard to Scribus is testimony to
the difficulty of actually sitting down and getting the job done. I'm
more than happy to contribute documentation to the Scribus project and
get nothing in return, but this wouldn't be the case if someone were
siphoning off my work and making money from it. I don't do this for my
own monetary benefit, and certainly not for someone else's.

Greg