[scribus] Scribus as technical drawing tool

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 02:39:52 UTC 2012

On 10/04/2012 06:32, ale rimoldi wrote:

> hi john,
>
>> (I know some people would say that diagrams might better be done in
>> Inkscape, but as Scribus can't even hack the company logo as a plain
>> SVG from Inkscape, I don't really feel any confidence re the import
>> of engineering drawings.)
>
> i've imported almost all of the libre graphics applications logos from
> svg into scribus...
>
> only one did resists to almost all efforts.
>
> statistically said: scribus can import an SVG logo!
>
> just take care that all the text is converted to paths and that there
> are no gradient and you're almost done!

Many thanks for that.

There are no gradients, so that shouldn't be our problem. Is there
a simple command within inkscape to globally convert all text to
paths ?  (Sorry, I'm not an inkscape expert as you can tell.)

As it stands, the logo only consists of filled and stroked rectangles
and stroked and filled Arial text. I can't imagine that logos would come
a lot simpler, but when I try and import it into Scribus I get a message
saying that there are unsuported features, and the text is no longer
bounded by the rectangles.

I've put a copy of my attempt at the .svg logo at

   http://www.t4sustainability.co.uk/EraseMe/T4logoArialPlainJb0004.svg

if you're curious.

Does Scribus log which svg features it doesn't support anywhere ?  It
would make it easier to avoid using them if the user was told what they
were !

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore,MSc EDM (Open),B.A. Chem (Oxon),CMIOSH,CEnv,MIEMA,MEI
Registered Office: 181 Belper Road, Stanley Common, Ilkeston. DE7 6FT