[scribus] Re : how to tell scribus about "external links" (see dcat's message #10 in Vol 49, Issue 11)

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Apr 5 13:56:02 UTC 2012

On 04/05/2012 08:51 AM, john Culleton wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 09:00:57 +0200
> "tauba.staroswiecki at orange.fr"<tauba.staroswiecki at orange.fr>  wrote:
>
>> I discover that external links are feasible. How ? (I'm using scribus
>> 1.3.5, and you ?)
>>
>> Envoyé depuis mon mobile Orange
>
> Suggest an upgrade to 1.4.0, so that we can all be singing out
> of the same prayerbook. Fixes have been made at each iteration.
External links have been feasible for some time, but as I look around, I
see there really isn't good documentation -- I'll try to address that.

In the meantime, here are some brief pointers:

1. If you're wanting to make an external web link, the simplest way to
try it would be to just put a complete URL in a text frame, such as
http://wiki.scribus.net/
Adobe Reader will typically recognize this and make it into a link.

2. Otherwise, make a linking frame -- this is on the toolbar, and looks
like two footprints, with the tooltip "Insert Link Annotation".

Once you make your frame, right-click and select Annotation Properties
from the Context Menu. This brings up a dialog which allows you link to
some other page in the current document, an External Link, which would
be another PDF document, or External Web Link, which allows you to link
on the web to a specific URL.

The somewhat odd thing about this linking frame is that even if you put
some text into this frame, it will not show in the PDF, so you may need
to superimposed this clickable area on top of some visible content so
that the user knows where to click and for what.

You /definitely/ should upgrade to 1.4.0, for many reasons other than
this particular issue.

Greg