[scribus] Spellchecker

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Wed Apr 4 19:23:05 UTC 2012

>> i'm writing right now my first plugin and i can help you getting
>> started with it... it's not that hard...
>
> That would be very helpful.
>
> Can the plugins work with a hitherto compiled binary, or do they need to be integrated into the
> scribus build process ?

Building Scribus is relatively easy on linux and OSX. Windows is more complicated.

> I assume this would go into the current development build
> (1.5.x ?) rather than 1.4.x ?  Could a plugin work with 1.4.x and 1.5.x builds ?

It would be somewhat generic code, but targeting 1.5.x would be better really.

> I've heard that compiling scribus under windows is more difficult than compiling under linux. Does
> this mean that plugins are better developed under Linux too ?

The code is essentially the same, the build process is different. If you were serious about it, I am
sure Jean could help you get up and running.

> If you are compiling and debugging rather than just building the latest version, is there any
> particular IDE / set of development tools that's required / preferred ?

Qt Creator is nice!

> How much Qt do you need to know ?  (Don't know any at the moment ! Hoping that hunspell will provide
> most of the low level user interface, and that Scribus already has the UI to invoke a spelling check.)

Qt is pretty easy

> Did somebody say that someone had started but not finished a new spellchecker plugin ?  If so, would
> it make more sense to work with them, or take theirs over if they've made a useful start but don't
> have time to finish it ?

The old aspell exception (ie C++ exception) based plugin is a nightmare to read.. better to start
from scratch with some ideas taken.

> (Don't take this as a commitment by the way, but let's sort out what's involved, then I'll find out
> if I've got an appropriate machine to build it on, and decide if I've got time to do it. No point in
> rushing in headlong... That wouldn't help any of us.)

Happy to help you out if you get serious on it.

thanks

Craig