[scribus] Three questions and a suggestion

Vladimir Savic vladimir.firefly.savic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 15:38:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 16:56 +0200, Ian "Witty" Whitfield wrote:
> Hi All

> [NOTE - After I save the .sla as a PDF Document I then use pdftops and
> ps2pdf to reduce the size of the file, and I think this is where the
> 'links' are being disabled although they did not get "lost" in the past]

You can easily check if this is indeed place where links are lost by
opening PDF in Adobe Reader before doing pdf2ps.

> 2) I've read about a Spell Checker that runs in Scribus - where can I
> find this and how is it installed?

Didn't need it - haven't found it! :)

> 3) There are one or two Glyphs I use a lot in my publication - Is there
> a way of setting a 'Shortcut' to be able to insert these without the
> trouble of going to Story Editor>insert Glyphs, select Glyph, Insert,
> Close windows, Close SE. ??? Rather a pain for something you use a lot!!

What about using character map application (both gnome and kde have
them) for easy copy+paste. Second solution is to make an empty frame
outside of page that contain characters you use a lot. Third, I haven't
managed to make this working, yet it's suggested by official
documentation, hit F12 and insert unicode hex value of desired glyph.
Pay special attention on last paragraph.
http://documentation.scribus.net/index.php/Special_Characters

> Last of all a suggestion - I tend to edit my document at 120% 'normal
> view' but as soon as you go up or down this changes back to 100%.

What do you mean by "going up or down"?

> I have
> seen people mention this before. Would it not be an idea to have
> whatever you set as the view magnification to be the "base value" so
> that you can look at the page bigger or smaller but when you return to
> "normal view" it is still at whatever you set it to in the beginning??

What did you do to define "beginning" value?

Vlada