[scribus] lulu help

john Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Sep 1 13:24:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 07:20:19 -0500
Adrienne Carmack <adrienne.carmack at gmail.com> wrote:

> I uploaded our pdf to Lulu. It said "all fonts must be embedded", so I
> embedded them all. Previously, some were embedded and some were
> outlined.
>
> I got this error message back when they tried to print it:
>
> "I have reviewed the interior source file for this project
> (LuluFullSpectrumHealth.pdf) and I can see that there is an issue with
> the font embedding, and this is the cause of the problem. I received
> an error message related to the 'Baskerville-Bold' font when I opened
> your document, and I also noticed that there are many, many instances
> of duplicate font subsets in the file.
>
> An updated revision using new files will need to be created in order
> to move forward with this project. As the font embedding is a product
> of the software that was used to create the file, we would recommend
> that you utilize an alternate PDF creation tool for your file. If you
> need more information about creating a successful PDF, please follow
> the link located here.
> http://www.lulu.com/help/how_do_I_make_pdf"
>
> Now, Baskerville Bold is a font I had trouble with and had to outline
> to get to show up in my pdf. I have no idea of what they mean by "many
> instances of duplicate font subsets."
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Adrienne
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Are you actually publishing via Lulu? It is much more cost-effective to
use LSI (first choice) or Createspace. Lulu actually uses LSI for
printing and distribution.

For review copies etc. with no publication by Lulu, IMO Lulu is
cost-effective up to about ten copies because they eat the setup fee.
Beyond that I use either the two vendors already mentioned or 360
Digital Books (25 book minimum.)

What version of Scribus are you using?

If I had your problem I would try loading the file into Acrobat
Reader, print it to file and then convert the file back  to pdf using
Ghostscript program ps2pdf. That might clean up the duplication
problem. Acrobat Reader will also give you a look at the fonts used.
Use Files->Properties->fonts

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press