[scribus] First Line Indent problem/Story Editor

bobparham at comcast.net bobparham at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 19:43:56 UTC 2011

On 10/28/2011 11:17 AM, bobparham at comcast.net wrote:

> On 10/28/2011 10:59 AM, Margaret and George McIntosh wrote:
>> On 28 Oct 2011 at 16:40, a.l.e wrote:
>>
>>> hi

>>> in word, you could also use indenting instead of tabs to indent
>>> your
>>> text...
>>>
>>> ciao
>>> a.l.e
>>>
>> When typing your text in Word, do you really have to know where the
>> paragraphs
>> start, as long as Scribus knows? Scribus will recognise the new
>> paragraph, started by
>> the Enter key, and put the correct indentation in the text. If you
>> put a Tab or spaces in
>> then you have to remove them to get the correct indent. Yes, you
>> could take the
>> indent out of your style and use the indent provided by Word. I
>> prefer to type things
>> in a text editor and let Scribus make the indents. I hate Word.
>>
>> George
> Gee, why didn't I think of these things? Good suggestions! I will test
> these ideas and see if I can solve the problem.
>
> I can always count on good suggestions coming from List Members.
>
> Bob P

I have tested setting First Line Indent in Word and I do get uniform
settings. Ever since I started using Word some 15 or so years ago, I
have been using tab to set First Line Indent. It is good that something
happens to causes me to take the time to learn a better way. However, if
I try to use SE to set margins using a style I wind up getting an indent
about like the sum of the Word indent setting and the Style indent
setting. It probably would work to use either to control First Line
Indent but not both.

I also tested removing First Line Indent from Word text and setting the
indent in the style which worked perfectly. For that reason, this is the
way I shall do this.

Back to a couple of issues I mentioned in my original post, could
someone comment on the following?

In Story Editor the lower half of the style names are cut off just as if
they were cut with a knife. This makes it hard to read. Should I report
this as a bug?

Is there a way to apply a particular style to a complete document or at
least a number of paragraphs rather than laboriously applying to each
paragraph?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Bob P

--

*Bob Parham*

*People may forget what you did and people may forget what you said but
people will never forget how you made them feel.
*

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")