[scribus] First Line Indent problem/Story Editor

Margaret and George McIntosh tenbear at myfairpoint.net
Thu Oct 27 22:44:26 UTC 2011

On 27 Oct 2011 at 17:57, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:

> With all respect due Bob's desires:
>
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM, a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:
>
> > hi bob,
> >
> > > It appears to me that more work needs to
> > > be done with Story Editor.
> >

> PLEASE do NOT make the Story Editor WYSIWYG.  Some of us like the
> text based
> SE and WYSIWYG slows things down far too much.
>

> > yes, it has to be rewritten with a new concept...
> >
> > > It would really be nice if Story Editor
> > > could display all the edits that were made including Font & Font
> Size.
> >
> > if you need a preview of your text, you really should edit it in
> the
> > frame itself, without going through the story editor!
> >
> > and if there is any problem editing in the frame, i guess that
> > it's that bug that must be fixed (at least in the long term)! and
> not a
> > feature to be added to the story editor!
> >
> > as already stated, the current frame editor has grown out of the
> need
> > to overcome the slowness of inframe text editing in older versions
> of
> > scribus. even for the simplest frames.
> >
> > nowadays, most editing work can be done in the frame itself, so we
> need
> > a new story editor with a new concept. a new concept to fit the
> needs of
> > people wanting to work differently than what is possible in the
> frame.
> >
> > ideally, i think that we should build the story editor in a way
> that it
> > should be possible to create different story editors for
> different
> > needs...
> >

> I love the current SE.  It has an annoying feature when it loses
> focus and a
> couple of other small problems, but I like it pretty well.  Doing
> almost
> everything in paragraphs for the magazine, the SE works great with
> paragraph
> styles.  In fact, I have begun to develop all the styles I need for
> an issue
> and HATE that every text import wants to bring its own paragraph
> styles that
> I have to delete from my .sla file.
>

> > >      Is this the best job Scribus can do in handling First
> Line
> > > Indent? Do I simply have to manually adjust these as needed?
> >
> > no.
> >
> > please post a sample document to the bug tracker, where one can
> see
> > this effect in action.
> >

> First line indent is something I use at every paragraph and it have
> work
> flawlessly for me since at least 1.3.8.
>

> > >      Have others had these Indent, Story Editor and crashing
> problems
> > > or just me. I must mention I have Windows 7, 64 bit computer.
> > >
> > > Bob P

> [...]

I use Windoze, x64. I also like the story editor. I have never had a problem with First
Line Indent and the tail being cut off on the "y" in Body Text doesn't bother me. I had
a few crashes with RC5 but none so far with RC6.

I like to be able to look at an entire article in one place instead of going from frame to
the next linked frame. I also find it easier to import articles into SE and set the Styles,
etc. there instead of in a frame. Of course, final editing is done in the frame.

I do a 8-14 page newsletter where most of the articles are sent to me by members.
They arrive in a variety of formats and fonts and I make them fit and make them
somewhat uniform.

George