[scribus] Wrapping Text Around Photo & Caption

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:49:23 UTC 2011

2011/10/24 Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com>

> On 10/24/2011 03:24 AM, JLuc wrote:

>>>  I notice that the lassoing part really isn't necessary, since one can
>>>>

>>> It seems to me that lassoing 2 points is the only way to move one line
>>> (2 points)
>>> and not one point.
>>>
>> No, this is not it : it is possible to move one line,
>> but there is no CTRL or ALT or SHIFT constraints to these moves
>> and so it is difficult to keep horizontal or vertical the 2 OTHER lines,
>> next to this one.
>>
>> The lassoing (or click on point, shift click on other points) enable to
>> use a single arrowkeys
>> (left or right for example) thus not moving in other directions (not
>> moving up or down in the example).
>>

> All of this having been said, I would personally opt for the less elegant
> method of creating an empty frame over the image + caption and then text
> flow around that frame.
>
> Similarly, even when you have some irregularly shaped collection of objects
> to text flow around, it is often a much quicker task to create two or more
> empty frames to accomplish what you need.

I agree. And to make that even more efficient — maybe someone mentioned it
already — we can put the resulting 3 frames into the scrapbook for a reuse
when needed. Ideally, this combination of frames would be empty.

However, all this fuss will be solved when we have access to a "frame
outset" that would allow to determine the zone of exclusion outside any
frame. That way, you set the outer space on any frame and if you want to
fill a gap in between two frames as it is the case with an image frame and a
text frame for a caption, then you set either the bottom of the one on top
or the top of the frame that's below to a value that fills that gap. I mean,
it could not be simpler.

Cheers!

Louis