[scribus] Announce: Scribus 1.4.0 RC6 Release

Jan Schrewe jschrewe at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:07:23 UTC 2011

On 20 October 2011 19:55, Peter Nermander <peter at nermander.se> wrote:

> > Stuff like release early and often, KISS and distributed development
> models
> > aren't exactly new. These seem to be the lessons learned.
>
> I am wondering how "adding code to make fixed bugs come back for
> documents created in an earlier buggy version" fits in as KISS? :)

It doesn't. The question is if smaller and simpler changes leading to
subsequent more frequent releases would have prevented users from treating
release candidates as actual releases. Which seems to me is what happened.
And we could (hopefully) have a discussion about wether or not this is a bug
or feature and how this issue and this issue alone can be resolved. What we
seem to be discussing now (among other things) is wether this stops two
years (maybe a little less?) work from getting released or not. And yes, I
believe it should be released as it is. But for users it is actually hard to
chose between using 1.3.4 without breaking layout and using the very cool
features of 1.4 and spending time fixing their broken layout. But that is
the choice the users are supposed to make.

> The Scribus devs are working unpaid, on their own spare time. I don't
> think complaints is the best way to encourage them to spend more work
> on Scribus.

Actually I'm merely trying to point out that in the last four years or so,
the release cycle of OSS has changed in the direction of releasing smaller
changes more often. And not having development versions floating in virtual
ether for a long time seems to make life easier for users and developers. At
least that goes for the projects I use and contribute to.

> Send them a working patch and they will happily include it, offer to
> help them and they will happily accept your help. Demand them to fix
> something... well, I know how I would respond:)

I didn't demand a fix. In fact I couldn't care less. But what does frustrate
me is seeing cool more or less unusable features dangling before my eyes for
a long, long time.

Jan