[scribus] Announce: Scribus 1.4.0 RC6 Release

Mike Sleger chappa-ai at q.com
Thu Oct 20 13:07:34 UTC 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 6:50 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> On 10/20/2011 05:19 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>>
>> So what should I tell users? To keep all the possible revisions of
>> Scribus just to be able to open their files?
>>
>> What is the proposed way to figure out which version to use? Save a
>> text file that will say which version to use?
>>

> This isn't the first time there has been glyph shifting and probably won't be the last. To rephrase what Jean has said, at any point in time, the devs have to use what seems to be the most sensible algorithms for text placement in the frames. Sticking with old and problematic methods is not helpful in the long run.
>
> When these things come up, and might be a serious problem for some users in some of their documents, one can put a non-printing text frame on page one which reminds them about the text placement issue. I have done this myself for other purposes and it's much better than trying to remember or keep some list somewhere about such things.
>
> Greg

Have people lost focus on what Scribus is?  If I didn't care about precise text and image placement, I'd use a word processing application such as MS Word.  It's because people want better control over page LAYOUT that they use an application such as InDesign or Scribus.  You can't just change the rendered layout and assume it's "not important".  I've already reverted back to RC5 because (for me, at least) it does indeed matter how my pages look.  (Really, what's next - changing the font because we referenced the font table wrong and "fixed" it so now everyone's text displays in a different font?  Come on...)

Something as obvious as a text position shift should have surely been noticed during testing and comparison.  If it was noticed and deemed unimportant, well that's just too presumptuous over who's using the software and for what purpose.

If the text shift is permanent due to a bug fix, I should think then some talented person might offer a script to "repair" the "bad" text frames in existing documents so visually they are as they were before, except now with the newer code.  This approach would keep the main application code cleaner.  Such a script could even be packaged with a Scribus release, much in the way some add-ins and plug-ins are included with applications.

Mike