[scribus] Announce: Scribus 1.4.0 RC6 Release

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 12:50:54 UTC 2011

On 10/20/2011 05:19 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> So what should I tell users? To keep all the possible revisions of
> Scribus just to be able to open their files?
>
> What is the proposed way to figure out which version to use? Save a
> text file that will say which version to use?

This isn't the first time there has been glyph shifting and probably
won't be the last. To rephrase what Jean has said, at any point in time,
the devs have to use what seems to be the most sensible algorithms for
text placement in the frames. Sticking with old and problematic methods
is not helpful in the long run.

When these things come up, and might be a serious problem for some users
in some of their documents, one can put a non-printing text frame on
page one which reminds them about the text placement issue. I have done
this myself for other purposes and it's much better than trying to
remember or keep some list somewhere about such things.

Greg