[scribus] Using Scribus for book-signature layout

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Wed Oct 19 05:00:31 UTC 2011

> Peter, what kind of printer did you use, a Laser Printer or an Ink Jet
> printer?

I used a duplex laser printer, but Bookbinder has support for
non-duplex printers too (it will create one PDF for the fronts and one
for the backs). It also has e checkbox for "alternate rotation",
depending on whether your duplex printer turns or tumbles the sheet.
So I recommend a test run (like the one I did) to make sure the
signatures come out right (or to try out how to turn or tumble the
sheets when putting them back into a non-duplex printer for printing
the backs).

When I previously have used a non-duplex printer to print signatures
I've made a "turning instruction" to myself to make sure I get the
same result every time (else it is easy to forget what way you turned
the pages last time). I find it easiest if you can just take the
sheets from the output tray and put them back, withut turning/tumbling
or rotating, but that means you have to make sure the signatures are
designed for such printing. I did that by making BAT-files (under
Windows) or scripts to create the imposition. But then I used
Multivalent, I'm not sure if Bookbinder can be controlled from the
command line (I think not).

/Peter