[scribus] Qt4 and development-addendum

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Mon Oct 17 13:47:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 10:10:58 +0200
Craig Bradney <cbradney at scribus.info> wrote:

> On 10/15/11 11:15 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 16:56:21 -0400
> > john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> >

> >> I download and compile both overnight automatically (svn
> >> versions.)
> >>
> >> I do not suggest that anyone else jump right in to 1.5.0 for
> >> production. It works for me but may not for you. But 1.4.0 in its
> >> successive incarnations has been around long enough to be safe to
> >> use. So I see no reason for anyone to use 1.3.3.14 any more.
> >
> > Following the Scribus tradition 1.5 will not ever be formally
> > released. When it is ready for release it will be renumbered as
> > 1.6.0 just as 1.3.9 became 1.4.0. But in the meantime I will use
> > 1.5.0 unless/until it blows up in my face.
> >

> That is not true.. 1.5.0 will be released as a development version. It
> will go through versions until we decide it has enough new features
> and is stable enough to become 1.6.0. I would be 99.99% sure that we
> will not get to 1.5.9 like we did with 1.3.x.
>
> Craig
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

> Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain Hosting
>               http://www.doteasy.com

The website says that 1.5.0 is "developmental code." And I doubt that
it will ever be declared "stable" which is what I meant when I said
that it will never be formally released.

I think we have a surplus of terminology here. We have developmental code to be followed by a
development version to be followed by bumping the second number by one
(e.g., 1.5 ->1.6) and then a series of release candidates.

Again I suggest that the latest version of 1.4.0 be declared stable and
the further refinements be designated 1.4.1 etc. At this point 1.3.3.14
should be delisted. The website lists 1.3.3.14 as the stable version but
also says:

"Current stable version is 1.3.3.14. It is not maintained anymore. This
is the last 1.3.3.x series version. Use it only if you have a specific
reason not to use 1.4.0rc5."

This has got to be a bit confusing to newcomers. I would suggest that
1.4.0 RC5 is at least as stable as the 1.3.3.14 version.

My nightly update has labeled the svn version 1.4.0 RC6 for the last
week or so.

--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers: