[scribus] Qt4 and development

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Oct 15 15:48:01 UTC 2011

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but a local Scribus user (not a
participant here) asked me about releases and we got into how 1.4.0 has
been promised RSN for the past ten months, which led to a discussion of
Qt4 and Qt3 and why Scribus 1.4.0 has taken so long. And that led to
whether 1.5.0 will suffer the same issues. Since I am not a developer
all I could say was what my really dim understanding was that I gleaned
from reading this list, i.e., that 1.4.0 has taken so long because of
the need to do a lot of recoding for Qt4.

All I know about Qt is that it is a Nokia product, but that developers
can use it to create cross-platform open source software, sort of like
Sun (now Oracle) created Java and lets anyone use it for free.

While I understand that no one can predict the future, I am wondering if
future releases of Qt will affect the work on Scribus 1.5.0 and the
time frame for its release like Qt4 affected Scribus 1.4.0. Or have I
completely misunderstood the situation?