[scribus] Re : Scribus Icons Contest 2011

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 9 14:30:19 UTC 2011

On 10/09/2011 09:33 AM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2011/10/9 Ivan Winters<iwinters at virginmedia.com>
>
>> Now that 'Alexandre' and 'a l e' have stopped having a dose of keyboards at
>> six paces I agree :
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/112546833633391090642/posts/cc1UnPkzVxT
>>

> While I do agree this is a nice shot, I still wonder. The pen has been
> around for ages. Yet, a pen has not much to do with DTP and has always
> seemed to me a bit out of topic or a bit misleading. Typography is not
> calligraphy. No pen is involved in the work, really. It's also arguable what
> a "scribe" has to do with DTP but here I find myself more comfortable since
> the scribe's work was in fact to put down the ideas on paper. From that to
> layout, I think the link is pretty clear. So, basically I only question the
> use of the pen. However, I have no fantastik idea on what we could use to
> replace it. A keyboard would be rather deceptive as well as anything that
> relates to a computer, a screen, a mouse, etc. No! :-) But a pen?

I think the connection makes some sense in that you have something of a
depiction of the work of a scribe, which at least connects to the name
Scribus. Furthermore, scribes worked as individuals, sometimes adding
embellishments of drop caps and artwork in the margins (primitive
layout) and were therefore much like the idea of an individual doing
publishing on his own.

The difficulty with using computers, screens, mice, keyboards, etc., is
that these might be used in the logo for almost any software. If you
imagine books you end up with the boring nature of something like the
icon for calibre.

It's at least a consolation that finally as of 1.5.0+ there actually is
a calligraphic feature in the toolbox.

Greg