[scribus] Negative line spacing?

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 14:06:03 UTC 2011

On 11/23/2011 07:55 AM, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2011/11/23 ale rimoldi<ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>
>
>> hi david,
>>
>>> In the past in have done layouts for cafe menus and been able to align
>>> prices to menu items by assigning a negative line spacing to the
>>> price style eg
>>> paragraph style-item; 14pt left align line spacing 16pt
>>> paragraph style-price; 10pt right align line space -16pt
>>>
>>> I have updated to the scribus version 1.4.0.rc6 and it seems that I
>>> can no longer set a value for line space less than 1pt, when did this
>>> change and does anyone have a suggestion to get around this?
>>> I know I could use a table or put the prices in their own text box
>>> but I like the elegance of my original method because it makes
>>> updating items and prices very straight forward.
>>> cheers for the suggestions
>>
>> i don't think that negative line spaces should be supported...
>>
>> on the other side, i'm not sure either, if the current limit is
>> correct.
>> the current scribus build forbids line spacings which could lead to
>> overlap glyphs... i'm not sure if in some corner case (mostly for
>> titles) one may want to allow a potential overlapping (because the
>> overlapping part does not contain glyphs on one of the lines...).
>>

> This is completely new in fact and it's wrong. This should not be a
> decision made at the programming level but at the user level.
>
> I filed a bug to save you some time !
>
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=10394

I wonder if doing the spacing this way is the most sensible.
Perhaps it might be more logical to adjust the baseline for the text
that you wish to shift. Negative values move the text downward on the
page, positive values move it upward. There seems to be a limit of
±100%, which makes some sense.

You can incorporate this shift into a character style. Note that if you
for example highlight text in Edit Contents mode, apply the Character
Style, the text seems to disappear until you unhighlight.

Greg