[scribus] installation problems

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Nov 15 16:20:53 UTC 2011

hi scott
> In a previous post I was looking for help because my Scribus menu and
> toolbars disappeared. I've given up on that and I'm just trying to install
> it on a 2nd computer. I love how Scribus has worked for me in the past, but
> suddenly it seems unworkable. The first installation disappeared, and now I
> can't even do a simple installation. I downloaded the compressed program
> onto a windows 7 machine laptop. I downloaded 7Zip to open it up. It looked
> like it was extracting files when I ran 7Zip, but I still only end up with
> a file with the .tar extension. I double click it and it's obvious that
> it's still a compressed file and I can't do anything with it. What am I
> doing wrong?

you don't need 7zip to install scribus.

please download it from here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.4.0.rc6/scribus-1.4.0.rc6-win32-install.exe/download

(you get it there by going to the scribus website and clicking on the
download in the top menu bar...)

you just have to run the .exe file you get and scribus will install itself.

what you have downloaded is probably the source code. you don't need it!

i don't recall the details of your previous mail, but i think that in
your previous try you also downloaded the source code instead the
binaries of the application which you can run without further action
from your part.

hopefully, this time you will succeed...

have fun
a.l.e