[scribus] interesting article with thoughts for us

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri Nov 11 13:46:31 UTC 2011

hi mike

>> Users can and should keep up with the latest version, 1.4.0.
>   There is a BIG difference in text rendering between RC6 and RC5.
it's a small difference...  i don't mean that it's a difference that
does not matter, but it's one that only affects some specific workflows
and it's "hard" to spot.

> If these kinds of layout changes commonly occur between releases (including candidates),
they are not common but they can happen.

btw, in my eyes, the team is even a bit too conservative with breaking
existing / past behaviors...

also, it's hard to say who the users of scribus are, but from what i see
in the forums, irc, mailing list and real life, i would say that there
are very few current users which will really be affected by this type of
glitches.
and the few one who are affected know very well how to -- fast -- fix
the problem in their document.

> users would have a full-time career just in reworking their documents to keep pace with the code changes.  (Not all code changes are simply to implement new features.  Some of them royally screw up the carefully laid out arrangement of a user's document, and they might not WANT to keep up with the latest "version".)

they should keep up with the latest version, but never change during a
project and be careful when changing.

it's not easy to follow this rule... but it's the only one which is
really sane...

have fun
a.l.e