[scribus] Paragraph Justification

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Wed Nov 9 14:03:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 21:47:42 +0100
Craig Bradney <cbradney at scribus.info> wrote:

> On 11/8/11 9:36 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 11/08/2011 12:06 PM, Craig Bradney wrote:
> >> Think non-latin texts... RTL vs LTR
> >>
> >> or.. design choice... or who knows..
> >
> > I'll bet that neither Scribus nor TeX can justify Hebrew the way
> > it's supposed to be for a proper Sefer Torah: when a verse ends in
> > the middle of the line, and the next one's supposed to start on a
> > new line (Some do, some don't and I don't happen to know the rule.)
> > you don't adjust the spacing between the words, you stretch the
> > last letter of the last word out to fill the extra space:
> > http://torahscroll.com/MyImages/antiquetorah2.jpg
>
> One day Scribus will do that...
>
> Craig
Microtypograpy in TeX will solve the problem without visibly
stretching just one letter. All letters can be
stretched/compressed by tiny amounts to take up the slack. And
if the setting that controls justification between words is
severe enough the total burden falls on microtypography. For
Scribus the passage can be set RTL, ragged left and a manual
stretching of the last letter of the line can be done by the
typesetter.

(Assuming of course the Scribus can set RTL, I haven't checked.)

--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers:

"Create Book Covers with Scribus"