[scribus] Importing large ODT file.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun May 22 13:21:21 UTC 2011

On Saturday, May 21, 2011 11:31:45 pm Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2011/5/17 John Ghormley KJ4UFG <kj4ufg at sera.org>
>
> > On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM, John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com
> >
> > >wrote:
> > > I have a customer's large (212) page doc file. I converted it to odt in
> > > Open Office Writer. Now I am trying to import it into Scribus 1.4.0
> > > RC3.

> > > set up the page to the same dimensions and the same margins and
> > > automatically linked text frames. Scribus seems to have stalled. Must I
> > > break up the input file into smaller segments?
> > >
> > > If I import the input file as txt instead of odt will things go better?
> > >
> > > --
> > > John Culleton
> > > 2401 Haight Avenue
> > > Eldersburg MD 21784
> > > (410) 795-1159
> >
> > Frankly, I detest the .odt import process.  It is great to get the text
> > into
> > a txt frame(s), but being a paragraph style oriented guy, I loathe the
> > many styles created by the odt import.
>
> Agree. There is room for improvement here.
>
> The styles from the imported document should not be imported into the
> already existing styles or the Scribus document just like that.
>
> Instead they should be shown to the user in a window where would appear as
> the source styles from the ODT doc. The other half of that window would
> display the target styles from the Scribus doc.
>
> The user should then be able to tell Scribus to map which source styles to
> which target styles. The user could even select more than one style from
> source to map it to one style in target.
>
> It could be expected that that dialog remembers the choices made and if
> there are lots of the same kind of ODT files to be imported into the same
> Scribus document with the same style names they would be treated as the
> first imported text, if the user is happy with that.
>
> Louis
>
> > But, then, I have constructed a few
> > paragraph styles that format almost all my text and don't like that
> > system complicated by a bunch of additional styles that are quite
> > cryptic in their naming.  And, since most of my  articles are not nearly
> > as long as your 212 page doc, I'd rather import at a .txt file and then
> > apply my own styles.
> >
> > Of course, a one off project, such as a book, or the like, would present
> > much different issues than my magazine does.  So, I suppose I have
> > written all this with not much of a point.
> >
> > > --
> >
> > John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
> > Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
> > Walkertown, NC  USA
> > editor at sera.org
> > edit your options.
> >
> > Scribus Forums are available at http://forums.scribus.net
> >
> > Notice: Scribus mailing lists were migrated to a new host and now reside
> > at lists.scribus.net, so a new list address scribus at lists.scribus.net
> > has to be used.

> edit your options.

> [...]

Unfortunately on a medium length novel Scribus 1.4.0 and Scribus 1.5.0 both
froze when importing a big {roughly 78,000 words) odt file. So for this task I
fell beck on my old standby TeX, the luatex version. The difference is
apparently that while TeX reads and typesets a page at a time Scribus tries to
hold the whole job in memory. I have 3 gigs of main memory and about 5 gigs of
swap space.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press