[scribus] Importing large ODT file.

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sun May 22 03:31:45 UTC 2011

2011/5/17 John Ghormley KJ4UFG <kj4ufg at sera.org>

> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM, John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com
> >wrote:
>
> > I have a customer's large (212) page doc file. I converted it to odt in
> > Open Office Writer. Now I am trying to import it into Scribus 1.4.0 RC3.
> > set up the page to the same dimensions and the same margins and
> > automatically linked text frames. Scribus seems to have stalled. Must I
> > break up the input file into smaller segments?
> >
> > If I import the input file as txt instead of odt will things go better?
> >
> > --
> > John Culleton
> > 2401 Haight Avenue
> > Eldersburg MD 21784
> > (410) 795-1159
> >

> Frankly, I detest the .odt import process.  It is great to get the text
> into
> a txt frame(s), but being a paragraph style oriented guy, I loathe the many
> styles created by the odt import.

Agree. There is room for improvement here.

The styles from the imported document should not be imported into the
already existing styles or the Scribus document just like that.

Instead they should be shown to the user in a window where would appear as
the source styles from the ODT doc. The other half of that window would
display the target styles from the Scribus doc.

The user should then be able to tell Scribus to map which source styles to
which target styles. The user could even select more than one style from
source to map it to one style in target.

It could be expected that that dialog remembers the choices made and if
there are lots of the same kind of ODT files to be imported into the same
Scribus document with the same style names they would be treated as the
first imported text, if the user is happy with that.

Louis