[scribus] problems on Y axis and export

e1000 at no-log.org e1000 at no-log.org
Sat May 7 11:59:08 UTC 2011

hello,

First, thanks a lot for your great tool!

I had some problems using scribus 1.4.0rc3 from debian package
(1.4.0.dfsg~rc3+svn20110401-1 0). It seems that the handling of the Y axis
generates some undesirable side effects. For instance, if we modify the
local Y-Pos (the LOCALY variable of the .sla file) of an "image frame" to
make the frame have its top overlap on the previous page, the image frame
passes in the "Outline" window to the previous page. This is quite
confusing, and I think this should not be. Even more confusing is the fact
that this moving to the previous image can happen by modifying the
vertical "Gap between Pages" in the Document Display.  Also, it is quite
strange that when the gap between pages is not large enough, the image of
a given page starts to overlap to the previous page in the PDF export.

These problems came up while I was working on a document started in A4
format but enlarged after it. (This, because the document size was only
known to me in cm, and I can not switch to "cm" before loading or opening
a document: possible improvement here ?) There, I had also another
problem: while changing the ordering of pages with drag and drop in the
"Arrange Pages" window, the main frame started up showing some 20 cm of
light grey, and it seemed to be impossible to create an image frame in the
second page: probably again an y-pos issue, since it switched always to
the first page.

In my very humble opinion, there is some conceptional mistake in the current
version, since the Y coordinate of PAGE and PAGEOBJECT in the .sla file are
counted absolutely where pages should be handled on totally separated canvas.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to figure out if it is a bug or two
or not, and I can not reproduce them all. However, I join an example
showing
the first problem: you will have to set Y-pos of Image2 to -20 mm, then it
switches to page 1.

thanks a lot for any reply

Emile Anclin