[scribus] Tamil in scribus

srikrishnan srikrishnan2003 at yahoo.co.in
Thu Mar 24 05:02:55 CET 2011

Hi,

I have one thought. Just I want to share with you.

I am a Template Developer in Arbortext Advanced Print Publisher (formerly
3B2), in a STM Typesetting Environment for past 15 years and above. I think
in some aspects Scribus seems like APP. For example we can open APP's file
also in a text editor and if we have knowledge we can make simple edits in
the text editor itself.

In APP, there is an option to create ligature table, through this table we
can replace or add a character for a character. If such option available in
Scribus it would be easy for an user to make available some accented
characters as well as surrogated pairs which need very essentially in Indic
languages.

FYR: APP's ligature table syntaxes as follows:

replace 0x0B95; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE893; 'ka க
replace 0x0B99; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE896; 'Nga ங
replace 0x0B9A; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE89B; 'ca ச
replace 0x0B9E; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8A3; 'Nya ஞ
replace 0x0B9F; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8A8; 'Tta ட
replace 0x0BA3; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8AF; 'NNA ண
replace 0x0BA4; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8B4; 'Tha த
replace 0x0BA8; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8B9; 'Na ந
replace 0x0BA9; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8C0; 'NNNa ன
replace 0x0BAA; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8C3; 'Pa ப
replace 0x0BAE; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8C8; 'Ma ம
replace 0x0BAF; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8CB; 'Ya ய
replace 0x0BB0; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8D0; 'Ra ர
replace 0x0BB1; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8D6; 'RRa ற
replace 0x0BB2; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8DC; 'La ல
replace 0x0BB3; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8E2; 'LLa ள
replace 0x0BB4; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8E7; 'LLLa ழ
replace 0x0BB5; 0x0BCD; draw 0xE8EA; 'Va வ

the above ligature table created as per the characters position available in
code2000 font for tamil

Thanks,
Srikrishnan