[scribus] Font licenses/restrictions.

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 17:40:50 CET 2011

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 11:10:30 -0500
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

>> no idea how slackware works, but in most distributions you should
>> not touch at what is in /usr/share.
>>
>> add your fonts to /usr/local/share/fonts or to ~./fonts instead

>No doubt this is good advice but since I am the only user of this
>system and the deed is done already I'll go with what I've got for
>now.

Just a minor observation. Other than traditional housekeeping v.
personal preferences, it doesn't matter to Fontmatrix where your font
files are located, as long as you tell Fontmatrix where to look for
them. (Same as Scribus, for that matter.)

But Fontmatrix has a "feature" that can mess you up. As you noted it
takes a long time to load the first time. That is, as you surmised, it
is examining and loading information about all your fonts into its
~/.Fontmatrix folder. Subsequently it launches quite quickly. The
problem with this is when you add, delete, or move a font. Fontmatrix
will not like this at all. It will launch quickly using its own list of
your fonts, but after a short while it will crash. Whenever I make
changes to my font collection I rename the ~/.Fontmatrix folder before
launching Fontmatrix. Then it will rebuild its database and all will be
well.

There is an option inside Fontmatrix (forget where the button is
located) so you can manually fix the database while Fontmatrix is
running. I always forget to check it, so its easier for me just to
rename the ~/.Fontmatrix folder right after making changes to font
files.

Fontmatrix does check its database in ~/.Fontmatrix against fonts on
the hard disk upon being launched, but it ought to also pop up a
warning to the user upon being launched that it found discrepancies.