[scribus] SVG files: can I force a refresh or reload?

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Mon Jun 27 04:38:41 UTC 2011

I have a two page .sla file, each page with 7 SVG imported
files. (.sla = 46MB)

I had to perform some minor editing before actually loading
each file, and then each file had to be positioned exactly
on x and y in the Properties dialog.

It took me about two hours to finish the task.

About 2/3 of the way through, I realized that the title text
for each SVG needed to have its x-pos slightly adjusted.

I presumed that after completely loading and positioning all
14 SVG files, and then saving and closing the .sla file,
that I could then go back and edit the SVG files title's
x-pos for the first 2/3rds which had the earlier title text
x-pos, and that my problem would be solved because - and
this is the catch, I guess - we all know that when we open
an .sla file that has graphics, the .sla is relying on the
graphics files being in the same directory that they were
originally loaded from.

Right?

So, I presumed that when I re-opened the Scribus .sla file
that referenced the SVG files, that it would reload them -
now with required slight editing - from the original
directory, and the editing of the SVG files would be
reflected in the re-opened Scribus .sla file.

But, unfortunately, even though the SVG files have been
edited, the re-opened Scribus file is still reflecting the
original x-pos for SVG's title text.

So, now my first question is, is there a different treatment
with SVG files, such as that they actually get stored in the
.sla file and they are not referenced to the original
directory that they are originally imported from, like
importing a .png or a .jpg into a frame?

...or what?

Is there a way that I can get the .sla file to reflect the
edits to the SVG's text x-pos without deleting them all and
then spending another hour and half re-opening them and
positioning them?

(This is not a complaint: if I have to, I have to. But if
the SVGs are actually stored in the .sla file, unlike other
graphics formats, then that should probably be identified in
the wiki and the next edition of the manual, that is, if
it's not already there somewhere, and I just haven't located
it...)

Barry McKenna