[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

Peter Linnell mrdocs at scribus.net
Wed Jun 22 10:47:27 UTC 2011

On 06/21/2011 07:03 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:31:57 -0400
> Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> dijo:
>
> John Culleton wrote:
>>> Here is a cookbook solution:
>>>
>>> Here is my Slackware Linux script which runs nightly. Before running
>>> the script you need to have a directory /usr/local/src/s150.
>>> cd /usr/local/src/
>>> rm -r s150/*
>>> svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus s150
>>> cd s150
>>> cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn
>>> # -DWANT_SCRIPTER2=1
>>> # -DWANT_GRAPHICSMAGICK=1
>>> make
>>> make install
>>> cd scribus
>>> rm /usr/local/bin/scrib5
>>> ln scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib5
>
>> I worry about handing an "idiot"/newbie something containing a command
>> like 'rm -r 150/*' as if automatically removing the entire contents of
>> directories is just another command.
>
> I went back to the wiki page and made sure everything on the list was
> installed. The following items were not installed:
>
> qt-devel (installed now)
> libart.lpgl-devel - error: not available
> libxml2-devel (installed now)
> openssl-devel (installed now)
>
> Then I tried the commands from the wiki page again. It still failed,
> but the error messages are different:
>
> [root at Devil8 Scribus]# cmake
> 	-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=usr/local/scribus_svn -- Shared
> 	Library Flags: -- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
> CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
> found.   Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or
> name. -- Scribus 1.5.0.svn will be built to install into
> usr/local/scribus_svn -- Machine: x86_64-redhat-linux, void pointer
> size: 8 -- Found target X86 -- Found target X86_64
> -- Building for target x86_64-redhat-linux
> -- Using standard ApplicationDataDir. You can change it with
> -DAPPLICATION_DATA_DIR -- Looking for Q_WS_X11
> -- Looking for Q_WS_X11 - found
> -- Looking for Q_WS_WIN
> -- Looking for Q_WS_WIN - not found.
> -- Looking for Q_WS_QWS
> -- Looking for Q_WS_QWS - not found.
> -- Looking for Q_WS_MAC
> -- Looking for Q_WS_MAC - not found.
> -- Found Qt-Version 4.7.2 (using /usr/bin/qmake-qt4)
> Qt QTWEBKIT library not found.
> Qt4 Found OK
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:473 (MESSAGE):
>   QtWebKit not found
>
> I spent the morning with lawyers, government tax nazis and judges
> (inconclusive - continuance), and when I got home I was still
> trembling. I was hoping that a success with building Scribus would
> boost my spirits, but it was not meant to happen today. Perhaps in the
> morning with recharged batteries I will be able to tackle it again.
> Meantime, thanks to all who offered patient help and suggestions. And
> additional help is still welcome - I haven't given up yet.

In the sources you downloaded via svn there is a BUILDING file which
lists for most major distros, the exact package name and minimum
versions of all the -devel packages needed to compile Scribus. We also
list *optional* packages which when available provide additional
functionality

All of us on the team keep that updated carefully.

Hope that helps,

Peter