[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Wed Jun 22 07:51:03 UTC 2011

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:35:50 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
>
>>Finally it all finished and I think 1.5.0 is installed. However, it
>> did
>>not create a launcher and I don't know the name of the executable, so
>>have no way to run it. From the command line "scribus" just launches
>>1.3.9. Does anyone know how to run my new Scribus?
>
> Looking at /usr/local/scribus_svn/bin/ there is an executable with the
> name "scribus." Launching it starts Scribus 1.3.9. Its properties says
> it is owned by root. Launching it from the command line as root gives
> me:
>
> [root at Devil8 bin]# scribus
> No protocol specified
> scribus: cannot connect to X server :0.0

You cannot start an executable from within the "bin" directory that way.

You must do  # ./scribus

better still, get out of that directory and run
/usr/local/bin/scribus_svn , or see below, just # scribus

I suggest you try this:

# env|grep PATH

It will produce something like;

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/home/owen/bin

This means that if you issue the command 'scibus', it will first
search /usr/local/bin (but not if you are in it), then /usr/bin where
I bet your scribus-1.3.9 is living

Owen