[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jun 21 05:03:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:31:57 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> dijo:

John Culleton wrote:
>> Here is a cookbook solution:
>>
>> Here is my Slackware Linux script which runs nightly. Before running
>> the script you need to have a directory /usr/local/src/s150.
>> cd /usr/local/src/
>> rm -r s150/*
>> svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus s150
>> cd s150
>> cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn
>> # -DWANT_SCRIPTER2=1
>> # -DWANT_GRAPHICSMAGICK=1
>> make
>> make install
>> cd scribus
>> rm /usr/local/bin/scrib5
>> ln scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib5

>I worry about handing an "idiot"/newbie something containing a command
>like 'rm -r 150/*' as if automatically removing the entire contents of
>directories is just another command.

I went back to the wiki page and made sure everything on the list was
installed. The following items were not installed:

qt-devel (installed now)
libart.lpgl-devel - error: not available
libxml2-devel (installed now)
openssl-devel (installed now)

Then I tried the commands from the wiki page again. It still failed,
but the error messages are different:

[root at Devil8 Scribus]# cmake
	-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=usr/local/scribus_svn -- Shared
	Library Flags: -- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
found.   Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or
name. -- Scribus 1.5.0.svn will be built to install into
usr/local/scribus_svn -- Machine: x86_64-redhat-linux, void pointer
size: 8 -- Found target X86 -- Found target X86_64
-- Building for target x86_64-redhat-linux
-- Using standard ApplicationDataDir. You can change it with
-DAPPLICATION_DATA_DIR -- Looking for Q_WS_X11
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11 - found
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC - not found.
-- Found Qt-Version 4.7.2 (using /usr/bin/qmake-qt4)
Qt QTWEBKIT library not found.
Qt4 Found OK
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:473 (MESSAGE):
  QtWebKit not found

I spent the morning with lawyers, government tax nazis and judges
(inconclusive - continuance), and when I got home I was still
trembling. I was hoping that a success with building Scribus would
boost my spirits, but it was not meant to happen today. Perhaps in the
morning with recharged batteries I will be able to tackle it again.
Meantime, thanks to all who offered patient help and suggestions. And
additional help is still welcome - I haven't given up yet.