[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 02:31:57 UTC 2011

On 06/20/2011 10:19 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Sunday, June 19, 2011 10:33:48 pm John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> I've been using Linux for years, but have never actually compiled a
>> program. Now I want to build the current 1.5.0 on Fedora 14, x86_64.
>>
>> I found this page with instructions:
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Official:Compile_with_CMake
>>
>> I installed Cmake 2.8.4-1.fc14.
>>
>> Then the instructions say "Let's assume the following: *Scribus source
>> is in a directory like /home/username/scribussource/." I created the
>> folder, but I can't figure out what files are needed for the "source"
>> or where to get them. I guess I'm supposed to know what source files
>> look like, but I don't. Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> ___
>> Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
>> See also:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net
>> http://forums.scribus.net
>
> Here is a cookbook solution:
>
> Here is my Slackware Linux script which runs nightly. Before running the
> script you need to have a directory /usr/local/src/s150.
> cd /usr/local/src/
> rm -r s150/*
> svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus s150
> cd s150
> cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn
> # -DWANT_SCRIPTER2=1
> # -DWANT_GRAPHICSMAGICK=1
> make
> make install
> cd scribus
> rm /usr/local/bin/scrib5
> ln scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib5

I worry about handing an "idiot"/newbie something containing a command
like 'rm -r 150/*' as if automatically removing the entire contents of
directories is just another command.

I really do prefer the manual method, though I do use some help from alias.

For instance:
I have a directory in my home directory named 'development' ('mkdir
development' is all it takes to create it)
I cd to that, then the first time I am getting each version series:

svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus Scribus150
and
svn co svn://scribus.net/branches/Version135/Scribus scribus135

(one is capitalized and one isn't because I'm lazy -- just 'cd
development/s-TAB' and bash finishes it for you)

I have added a couple of aliases to my ~/.bashrc file:

alias cmake135='cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/gregp/scribus135'

alias cmake150='cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/gregp/scribus150'

- these apostrophes are necessary parts of creating an alias. In case
you forget the name you gave it, type 'alias' in bash to get a list of
all your aliases. Also note that if you have konsole open when you make
the aliases you'll need to restart it or make a new tab to have the
aliases be usable.

so then I can just 'cd ~/development/scribus135' and run 'cmake135',
then 'make', then 'make install' (no need to be root, and these
apostrophes are not actually typed)
and
'cd ~/development/Scribus150' and run 'cmake150', then 'make', then
'make install'

After that, you can either create aliases to run
~/scribus135/bin/scribus, or make a desktop launcher

One thing about John's script is that it completely erases his download
and starts all over again, which really isn't necessary. All you need to
do, for example to update 135 would be to 'cd ~/development/scribus135'
and then run 'svn up', so that you only update new things.
Then when you 'cmake135','make','make install', it all goes much faster,
since you only build the parts that need to be built.

This may not be as cool as a cron job, but it's pretty damn easy.

Greg