[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jun 20 22:05:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:46:40 -0400
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

>On Monday, June 20, 2011 12:02:53 pm Gregory Pittman wrote:
>>
>> we hashed through this a little while ago in a different
>context, but
>> the only way you are going to make this script run is as
>root, and
>> probably not a good idea to be root when you don't
>absolutely need to be.
>>
>The script runs overnight using the cron facility. Cron
>runs as root.
>
>I have another script which updates 1.4.0 overnight. I call
>the rsulting executable scrib4.  Currently it yields 1.4.0
>RC 5. You might want to do somethng like this instead of
>waiting for Fedora to update. It might be a long wait.

John,

When I was writing the subject line of my initial post it occurred to
me to send it just to you directly rather than to the list. But then I
decided you would surely weigh in anyway, and there might be some other
idiots like me trying to figure out how to do it.

Now to the point: I am also using Fedora and, like Greg, stuck at
1.3.9.* While I want to play with 1.5.0, I'd also like to get 1.4.0 RC5
(and later RCs and the final).

*I have even posted on the Fedora forums asking why they won't put the
latest in updates-testing, let alone the regular repos. I had one
response that Scribus was "unverified." Like, what? It's *testing*, fer
cryin' in yer beer. Whoever is in charge of the testing repository
needs the proverbial 2x4 treatment.

So can you please tell me again about your script to build 1.4.0, as
well as your 1.5.0 script. But note that I'd like to do it manually from
time to time, not via cron as you do. I find that cron is
incronprehensible. (Sorry.) Unless there's a GUI for it maybe. No, I'd
still like to do it manually.

And if I'm going to build 1.4.0 RCx, then I can uninstall 1.3.9, so the
only conflict avoidance issue will be between 1.4.0 RCx and 1.5.0.