[scribus] Idiot wants to build 1.5.0 from source

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 16:02:53 UTC 2011

On 06/20/2011 10:19 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Sunday, June 19, 2011 10:33:48 pm John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> I've been using Linux for years, but have never actually compiled a
>> program. Now I want to build the current 1.5.0 on Fedora 14, x86_64.
>>
>> I found this page with instructions:
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Official:Compile_with_CMake
>>
>> I installed Cmake 2.8.4-1.fc14.
>>
>> Then the instructions say "Let's assume the following: *Scribus source
>> is in a directory like /home/username/scribussource/." I created the
>> folder, but I can't figure out what files are needed for the "source"
>> or where to get them. I guess I'm supposed to know what source files
>> look like, but I don't. Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> ___
>> Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
>> See also:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net
>> http://forums.scribus.net
>
> Here is a cookbook solution:
>
> Here is my Slackware Linux script which runs nightly. Before running the
> script you need to have a directory /usr/local/src/s150.
> cd /usr/local/src/
> rm -r s150/*
> svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus s150
> cd s150
> cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn
> # -DWANT_SCRIPTER2=1
> # -DWANT_GRAPHICSMAGICK=1
> make
> make install
> cd scribus
> rm /usr/local/bin/scrib5
> ln scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib5

we hashed through this a little while ago in a different context, but
the only way you are going to make this script run is as root, and
probably not a good idea to be root when you don't absolutely need to be.

At any given time, I have at least 3 Scribus versions -- the "stock"
Fedora version (curiously stuck at 1.3.9 for the moment), 1.3.5 series,
and 1.5.0 series.

Greg