[scribus] The never-ending quest for a stable version

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Jun 19 14:13:27 UTC 2011

On Saturday, June 18, 2011 09:52:26 pm Andrew Fountain wrote:

> Nobody is going to write a book about a dev version. Once there is a new
> stable version, there is much more motivation to update documentation
> since there is not a moving target.

Not so, as it turns out. The Scribus culture is different.

The 1.3.5 to 1.3.9 series were all marked as "development."

The two latest Scribus books are written about 1.3.5 and 1.3.8 respectively.
My e-book shown below was written about whatever version of the 1.3.5-1.3.9
series was available for download when I wrote it in 2010,  My next book, an
expanded  paperback version on the same subject, will be written about (and
using) the latest release candidate of 1.4.0, currently RC 5. The feature set
and the user interface will not change much in the next year or so.

Open Source software is always a moving target. That is the price we pay for
continual improvement. But no significant new features are likely to be added
in the 1.4.X series. We will get bugfix releases. For some time I have spoken
against listing the thoroughly obsolete 1.3.3.14 version as the offical stable
version. It points too many newbies in the wrong direction.
--
John Culleton

"Create Book Covers with Scribus"
http://booklocker.com/books/4055.html