[scribus] Story Mode

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Jun 15 05:02:30 UTC 2011

hi mike,

> I now understand all the talk regarding Story Editor in 1.4 - it's
> crap.  1.3 was better.  Why did we take a step backward instead of
> forward from 1.3 to 1.4?  Missing is the ability to edit/create
> styles from within Story Editor, and also missing is the toolbar
> button is for updating and exiting Story Editor.  It was working fine
> in version 1.3, echoing comments made by others, I don't see why it
> had to be mucked up for version 1.4.
>
> Why am I using Story Editor?  Because the Properties window keeps
> corrupting my text frame!  When I select a line of text to override
> the applied style with custom settings, the dang UI changes my text
> selection and applies the customization to the entire frame!  At
> least with Story Editor, I can (or could) apply styles to selected
> paragraphs without affecting other paragraphs in the frame.
> Unfortunately, there is no support for customizing specific
> characters within a paragraph, such as making one or two words bold
> or italic.  The only way to do this is through the Properties window,
> which keeps changing which text I have selected!  (Very annoying.)

personally, i think you're getting it backwards: if there are bugs in
the Properties Palette (PP) it's the PP that has to get fixed.

and again: nobody has taken away the chance to create a style while
working in the story editor!

just use the edit > style manager from the main menu without closing
the story editor!

ciao
a.l.e

p.s.: if you can give us step to reproduce the selection problems
you're facing, i guess that those will be corrected ASAP!

p.p.s.: and with a bit of luck 1.6 will have new shiny story editor
which can do everything you need!