[scribus] Save Not Setting Saved Status

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Jun 15 04:46:45 UTC 2011

hi joe

> On 06/14/2011 10:32 AM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:
> > I am thoroughly confused.  Why would not a text search through the
> > entire code base reveal ALL references to the flag in question?  In
> > order to be set or unset it has to have the same name every time it
> > is manipulated.   This is not really rocket science, is it?
>
> I haven't done any programming in years.  However, back in the
> ancient days of the Second Millennium, it was possible to set the
> debugger to let you know each time a specified variable's value
> changed.  And, it was also possible to have it stop whenever a
> specified function was entered.  Assuming that current debuggers are
> at least as good as the ones I used, you should be able to find out
> if the change flag is properly set when you save the file and if the
> value changes between that time and the time you try to exit, even if
> you haven't made any changes.  Then, when the debugger halts at the
> checkpoint inside the exit function, you can make sure that the value
> is correct, have it continue to a second checkpoint right before it
> asks you to save the file again and see why it's either not checking
> the flag or Doing The Wrong Thing.  Once you know that, it should be
> relatively easy to correct whatever's wrong.  Yes, doing this will
> take time, and time is a valuable, limited resource, but what needs
> to be done can't be rocket surgery if somebody who's not programmed
> in well over a decade can work out in general terms how to do it.

you seem to have nailed it to the point...

and now i nail you to the job :-)

why don't you start scribus in a debugger and do the testing?
you have all the resources at your hands and just have to download
and look at them.

and you don't seem to miss the knowledge to jump in quite fast, either!

personally, i find it an annoying bug, too. but it's not more than that
to me: i just click it away quite fast! (if i know that there is
nothing to save it's a no, otherwise i just click yes... it does not
take that much time)
we have real bugs which give us a broken final result or a very bad
user interaction which are been fixed for 1.4 and i prefer the
developers to concentrate on them (and they are doing a good job and
we are getting closer and closer to a good release!)
but i really don't mind if somebody new to scribus programming jumps in
and fixes it! it may be one of the best chances to start contributing
small patches!

so, joe, do a couple of spare hours to do this check for all of us?

ciao
a.l.e