[scribus] Finding Document Fonts

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 16:18:19 UTC 2011

On 06/13/2011 10:27 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 00:16:42 -0600
> Mike Sleger<chappa-ai at q.com>  dijo:
>
>> On Jun 13, 2011, at 12:02 AM, a.l.e wrote:
>>> as far as i know the issue is with the fonts being used for some
>>> defaults values in your document.
>>>
>>> sadly, there is no "real" solution for it, yet...
>>>
>>> i guess we should have a look at it at some time...
>
>> Yes, the text editor showed where the fonts were located, but rather
>> cryptically.  Some sort of Find Font Placements script would be
>> useful.  Changing the defaults cleans out the "unused" fonts.  It's
>> interesting that the fonts export with the pdf, even though there is
>> no visible text using them.
>
> This is reported here so often that I wonder if it might be better to
> adjust the PDF export routine so it only includes fonts that are really
> used in text. Assuming it is possible to do so, that is. Scribus should
> not be creating PDFs with fonts that are not actually used. It
> increases the size of the PDF, in addition to not being very
> professional.

An exaggeration.
As I said, the only font which is exported yet potentially not used is
your default font. I don't know that this is a bad thing (and it's only
one font)

This having been said, here are the results of some experimentation:

Create a document, make an empty text frame.
- check for fonts in the PDF export dialog -- should be your default
text frame font (only).

Now, use File >  Document Setup to change the default text frame font.
- check again with PDF export. Maybe not surprisingly, you still only
include your original default font. (probably not a bug)

Now create a new text frame, check PDF export again.
- you still only see the original default font. (this I think is a bug*)

Close your document. Open File > Preferences, change your default font.
Make a new document, an empty text frame.
- now you see with PDF export that this new font finally sticks, and
your previous default font is gone.

One question for the devs here is whether there is a way to only show
fonts on PDF export that actually have been applied to some text...

Note that you can delete a font from the embed list (if it's embedable),
so perhaps underscores checking the fonts tab whenever you export to
PDF. If it's in the outline list, it probably doesn't matter if there is
no text using it.

Greg

* will file this later