[scribus] 600 dpi

Ted Powell ted at psg.com
Wed Jun 8 19:07:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 11:51:36PM +0200, a.l.e wrote:
> hi ted,
>
> > On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 03:19:42PM -0400, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > DPI and PPI only have any sense related to some output device, like
> > > a printer for the former, and monitor for the latter. I know some
> > > image formats can save at some DPI/PPI, but by default Scribus
> > > seems to bring in images at 72 PPI, and in the end what you have is
> > > some number of datapoints per horizontal line of the image, and a
> > > certain number of horizontal lines in the image what comes out in
> > > the output device has to do with some mathematical creation.
> >
> > ImageMagick will let you store pixels-per-inch information in the
> > metadata of an image (-density {width}x{height}), but I've found that
> > Scribus (scribus-1.3.9-1.fc13.i686) ignores it and assumes 72x72.
> > Fortunately, having Scribus shrink the rather large imported image
> > down to my intended size did raise the resolution.
>
> may i ask you, where you get the feeling that scribus would ignore the density?

When I import the 800x800 px image (and enlarge the box so all of the
image is visible) it displays on my screen as 800x800 pixels--so it's
assuming my screen resolution, rather than 72x72 as I said above.

> i have not tested it with imagemagick and scribus 1.3.9...
>
> but with gimp i can set a resolution and it is correctly used in scribus 1.4RC* (the current development version)...
>
> can you please test it with scribus 1.4 and if still happens, please fill a bug report?

However, that turned out to be a false alarm (sorry!). I loaded the image
into gimp and asked it to display the image metadata. My specification
of 600 dpi had never made it into the file (likely operator error),
and gimp showed 72x72 dpi.

I then used Image | Print size... to set the resolution to 600x600 and
saved it. Importing that copy into Scribus works just fine.

Either I wasn't using the ImageMagick -density option correctly, or it
doesn't handle it correctly for .PNGs. I'll fiddle with it when time
permits.

Bottom line: Scribus handles PPI correctly (at least in this case)
if it's set correctly in the image file.

--
Ted Powell <ted at psg.com>   http://psg.com/~ted/
The best way to get to know a system is to tinker with it. --leb